Everyone loves to give their pets little treats, but what tastes delicious to you might prove to be downright dangerous, and even deadly, to your dog’s health. From chocolate and raw meat to onions, shallots, and leeks, there are a number of foods that are safe for human consumption, but may cause severe health problems to your dog.

So, when thinking to reward your four-legged friend with a delicious treats, skip the following foods altogether for the health and wellness of your dog.
(Note: Remember that this is not an exhaustive list and there are a number of other foods that may result in an illness.)

 1) Chewing Gum

Chewing gum and candies that contain Xylitol can prove to be deadly for dogs. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener which results in the release of insulin in dogs and leads to dangerously low blood sugar levels, causing your dog to look lethargic. If left untreated, xylitol ingestion can produce heart palpitations, tremors, seizures, and eventually death.

 2) Chocolate and Caffeine

Chocolate and caffeine both contain a chemical called Theobromine that is not only toxic to dogs, but may produce various side effects in humans as well. However, because of their weight, size, and high sensitivity to the chemical, dogs are more likely to develop rapid or irregular heartbeat, restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures on consumption of dark chocolate or baker’s chocolate.

 3) Grapes and Raisins

Many dog owners consider grapes to be a nutritious, low-calorie food for their pets, but the small fruit can result in serious health-related consequences. Most dogs develop vomiting within few hours of ingesting grapes and raisins. If left untreated, the symptoms may progress to severe diarrhea, excessive urination, and eventually acute kidney failure and death.

 4) Onion, Garlic, Shallots, and Leeks

All members of onion family, including garlic, shallots, leeks, and chives contain a chemical that may damage red blood cells and make your dog look anemic. Chopped, fried, or powdered, these foods are toxic to your dog in all forms. Also, never use garlic or garlic oil as a flea or tick repellent because even small amounts of these substances may prove to be threatening to your dog.

 5) Macadamia Nuts

Although not usually fatal, Macadamia Nuts produce transient toxicity in dogs, which may result in vomiting, fever, and tremors. These symptoms usually resolve within 12 to 48 hours of ingestion without the need for any specific treatment. However, dogs that have ingested large amounts may require fluids and pain killers.

So, keep these treats hidden when leaving your dog alone at home, or preferably, seek assistance from a pet sitter who can provide your dog the much-needed care and companionship while you’re away.